Monday, January 30, 2017

3 Step Living Room Makeover: From Unfinished to Fab

Living Room Makeover

Alexi Politis of Seeking Alexi recently moved into a new home. After making each room livable, she decided it was time to give her home finishing touches, with her living room last on her list. Read more to see how just a few investment pieces and rearranging turns this room from “okay” to gorgeous.

3 Step Living Room Makeover: From Unfinished to Fab

I don’t know about you, but whenever I move into a new home, I often get each room in my house to an “okay” stage right when I move in. I have high hopes of coming back to each room to finalize and perfect it. But weeks turn to months, which turn into a year, and I forget what I wanted to do to finish the room in the first place. I get comfortable with that unfinished stage and never go back to fix it later.

Does anyone else have this forgetful-home-syndrome? I can’t be the only one. It doesn’t only happen after a recent move-in, it may be the case after years of living somewhere and wanting to update a room, but not doing so.

No matter the reasoning, for my living room makeover I didn’t want to focus not on a dramatic before and after, because I don’t think that’s very likely for most of us. In most cases, I would imagine that it only takes a few extra steps to really make that room (finally) feel finished.

First, here are a few before and after photos of my room. You’ll see that they are not dramatic, but the after photos clearly look like finished rooms, finally!!

Before the Makeover

Living Room Before Makeover

Living Room Before Makeover

After the Makeover

Living Room Makeover

Living Room Makeover

Let me show you the three steps that I took to change my room in under a week.

Step 1: Build focus around the wall with the most visibility

Living Room Makeover

For my room, the wall with the fireplace and TV has the most visibility. That might be artwork, or paint color, or a piece of furniture. For me, I needed more visual and artistic stimulation on that wall, so, I decided to build some shelves!

Head over to my personal blog for step-by-step instructions on how to build simple, beautiful ladder-shelves that won’t break the bank. Then I styled the shelves with all of my favorite items I could gather. After this step is completed in your room, BAM, you’ve got a focal point.

Step 2: Small investments go a long way

Living Room Makeover

There were four items I added to the room that were investment-pieces, but they dramatically changed the room. Everyone should consider splurging on at least one item if a room needs some pizzazz, but pick the item(s) that will change your room the most. For me, I chose the following three items.

Living Room Makeover

First, the rug. Every room need comfortable and stylish flooring, and this shaggy area rug from The Home Depot is no exception! I didn’t know they had so many area rugs online, but they do! They are very well-priced, super stylish, and there’s a huge variety!

Second, my new lighting and the woven wall hanging (I wish I could insert heart eyed emoji here!) I love how much this light and weaving transformed my room to look more sophisticated and put together. Love!

Living Room Makeover

Third, the white Home Decorators Collection roller shades from The Home Depot. The shades are open in these photos, but they are so great for giving my room privacy. I followed The Home Depot’s measuring instructions on their site, and they came back at the perfect size, and installation was a cinch!

Step 3: Arrange the furniture to utilize the space

Before

Living Room Makeover


After

Living Room Makeover

First thing’s first, rethink your seating arrangements.

Ask some of these questions about your room:

  • Is your seating being used often?
  • Is your seating arrangement creating the environment you’re wanting?
  • Is your seating inviting enough?
  • Are all of your seats being used?
  • Are there things you would like to do in that room that your current seating arrangement is preventing?
  • Does your seating look the best it could in the current arrangement?

For me, once I asked these questions about my room, I realized two major things about my room: I needed to create a more inviting environment, and we hardly use the TV, but the whole room was arranged around it. So, I changed it up!

If the purpose of your room is to have conversations, then arrange the furniture in a way that people can easily talk with each other. If your room is near a high-traffic area, make it easy for people to come sit in that room by opening-up the furniture.

Living Room Makeover

There you have it! With a few simple steps, you can change your room dramatically without having to dramatically break the bank. And with these three easy tips, you should be able to finally take your unfinished room closer to that final stage. Good luck!

Browse our wide selection of rugs online at The Home Depot. Visit The Home Depot for more custom window treatments. Take a look at The Home Depot’s Decor Department to decorate and furnish your living room.

Follow our Home Decorators Collection and Living Rooms boards on Pinterest for more ideas from The Home Depot.

The post 3 Step Living Room Makeover: From Unfinished to Fab appeared first on The Home Depot Blog.



from Roofing Pro http://ift.tt/2kjjDFa

Curated by a professional Roofing Contractor

No comments:

Post a Comment