Tuesday, September 26, 2017

DIY Tile Fireplace Makeover

Tile Fireplace

Joni Lay of Lay Baby Lay used these beautiful peel and stick tiles to give her tile fireplace a total transformation in just one hour. Read how this simple, refresh brightened up the whole living room!

DIY Tile Fireplace Makeover

Tile Fireplace

I just finished updating my tile fireplace with Home Depot’s peel and stick Smart Tiles. The process was so simple and mess-free, and the end result is beautful. I’m excited to share the steps with you here so you can do the same in your home!


Tile Fireplace

These peel and stick tiles have a high-end look, are heat and humidity resistant, and will stay in place as long as you want them. They are a great solution when you want to update old tile fireplaces without the expense and mess. All you need to get started are the tiles of your choice (I went with the Metro Grigio – that lovely gray!), some scissors and a sharp utility knife.

Tile Fireplace

This is what I started with; many of these tiles were broken and cracked. Plus, I was really tired of the dark black. It made the whole room feel darker to me! To get started, I cleaned the tiles and wiped them down so they were dry and clean.


Tile Fireplace

Next, I pulled out my tools and the tile, and I was ready to get to work!


Tile Fireplace

I started in the top left corner. To begin, pull back the paper from the corner of the tile until it is about a third of the way pulled back, and stick the exposed adhesive to your surface. Then, pull back the rest of the backer. Smooth the tile down with your hand. My tile fireplace has a little space between the mantel and the tile, so I was able to stick part of it behind the mantel to start.

Tile Fireplace

The peel and stick tiles have a little extra space on one side so you can overlap them slightly so there are no gaps. Super easy! Plus, they are very tacky and stick well to a surface, but you can peel them up and re-position as needed, so don’t be afraid of making a mistake.


Tile Fireplace

My fireplace also has a rounded edge, so I just smoothed the peel and stick tiles over the rounded edge. They stick perfectly, so it’s a seamless looking replacement.


Tile Fireplace

I ended up using the scissors more than the utility knife, but use what you are comfortable with! For the sides, I held up one of the peel and stick tile panels, marked where the edge of the old tile was and trimmed the tiles so they would fit perfectly. You could also lay the tile down first and then trim with a sharp utility knife if you prefer. They are really easy to trim!


Tile Fireplace

The whole project took me about an hour, start to finish, which is pretty great considering how involved it would have been to remove and replace the old tile fireplace.


Tile Fireplace

The new tiles look amazing, and it’s really hard to tell they are peel and stick! I honestly wouldn’t notice if I hadn’t been the one to do it. I love how the grey Metro Grigio color lightens up the room so much!

Tile Fireplace

I’m so happy I was able to use these peel and stick tiles to transform my old tile fireplace! I have had such a hard time with this room because it felt like everything I did just didn’t really mesh well with the old black tile. Now it feels so much happier and inviting!

Tile Fireplace

Thanks so much to The Home Depot for working with me on this, and helping me to brighten up our living room!

Follow our Inspiring Tiles board on Pinterest for more tile inspiration. Find more tile ideas on The Home Depot Blog.

Find more easy-to-install, peel-and-stick Smart Tiles at The Home Depot.

The post DIY Tile Fireplace Makeover appeared first on The Home Depot Blog.



from Roofing Pro http://ift.tt/2wiQAEK

Curated by a professional Roofing Contractor

No comments:

Post a Comment