When was the last time you had fish and hush puppies? It’s probably a common dish at your favorite local seafood restaurant, but why make your own fish combo at home? We’re using an indoor electric fish fryer for this fried fish and hush puppies recipe. It’s easy, fun and we promise you’ll enjoy all the crispy, golden goodness as soon as you dive into this classic combination.
What You’ll Need
- 1 gallon cooking oil
- 4 pounds fresh or frozen catﬁsh ﬁlets or whiting ﬁsh (about 24 ﬁlets)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups cornmeal
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup self-rising ﬂour
- ¹/₁₆ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1½ cups buttermilk
Optional Ingredients for Hush Puppies:
- ¼ cup chopped jalapeño peppers
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup corn
- Fill your fryer with oil. Heat to 375° F, which should take about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Thaw fish (if frozen).
- Clean the fish and season with salt. Coat fish with cornmeal and shake off any excess coating.
- Place fish into hot oil and cook for 3 ½ minutes per side. Fish should be golden brown on both sides, crusty on the outside and moist and flaky on the inside.
- Allow the fish to drain in fryer basket before removing.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking soda, egg, and onions in medium bowl. Stirring, add buttermilk until the consistency is thick enough to form golf ball-sized hush puppies.
- Drop the batter, 1 tablespoon at a time, into the oil. Dip the spoon in a glass of water to clean it after each hush puppy is dropped into the oil.
- Fry hush puppies for 4 to 6 minutes, until golden brown, turning the hush puppies during the cooking process to cook evenly.
- Once the hush puppies are done, turn the turkey fryer to MIN and unplug it from the outlet. Allow the hush puppies to drain in fryer basket before removing.
from Roofing Pro http://ift.tt/1WG2l0S
Curated by a professional Roofing Contractor