Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Winter Wonderland Christmas Mantel for a Beachy Decor

Christmas Mantel for a Beachy Decor

A DIY “merry” sign is the centerpiece of this sweet Christmas mantel styled to complement a beachy decor.

Holly Wade of Club Crafted styled the Christmas mantel for our Holiday Style Challenge series here on The Home Depot Blog.

Take a look at how she incorporated the Alpine Holiday Collection of Christmas ornaments into the colorful scene.

A Christmas Mantel for a Beachy Decor

When The Home Depot asked me to participate in this year’s Holiday Style Challenge, I was thrilled because Christmas is my absolute favorite holiday. I was asked to style a Christmas mantel. My apartment doesn’t have a fireplace, so I hijacked my aunt’s newly renovated fireplace and mantel area to style a sweet winter wonderland scene that reflected her home’s beachy decor.

Christmas Mantel for a Beachy Decor

In addition to a few of The Home Depot’s beautiful new array of Christmas ornaments and wood gift box decorations, I styled this scene with a large DIY “merry” sign using a large piece of plywood and several of my aunt’s beautiful blue vintage glass pieces and seashells.

Complementing the Beachy Decor

Present Box Christmas decorations from Martha Stewart Living

Because my aunt’s home has a very beachy theme, I thought the blue, white, silver and gold colors matched perfectly with her existing décor, using some pops of green. First, I added the large wood gift boxes on either side of the fireplace.

Christmas Mantel for a Beachy Decor

Christmas Mantel for a Beachy Decor

Then I made a DIY ornament garland using several of The Home Depot’s small ornaments from the Martha Stewart Living Alpine Holiday collection that fit my color scheme and glued them to a long (about 7 ft.) garland using a hot glue gun. Luckily, the ornaments are light so the hot glue is strong enough to hold them together. Once dry, I removed any loose glue strings and draped it along the front of the mantel using clear Command Hooks that come off cleanly after the holidays.

DIY “Merry” Sign

DIY "Merry" Sign for a Christmas Mantel

To make the large DIY “merry” sign, I purchased a large, square piece of plywood that was about 3 x 3 ft. With a pencil, I outlined the word “merry” in very large block cursive and erased any mistakes. Using a light blue paint, I painted around the outside of the letters with a small paint brush and then filled in the outside with a larger brush. This way, the word itself was left as plain plywood. (Note, to take this up a notch, try adding glitter to the paint!)

DIY "Merry" Sign for a Christmas Mantel

When the wood was completely dry, I propped it up in the middle of the mantel. In front, I spread out pillow stuffing to look like snow and spread out several white bottle brush trees, sea shells and blue glass pieces.

Lastly, since I felt her lovely high ceiling was missing something, I used clear fishing line and hooks (or use thumb tacks) to create a hanging mobile of ornaments from the ceiling across the length of the mantel and dangling at various heights using ornaments in the same color scheme.

Just like that, the whole Christmas mantel came together with the cozy look of a California Christmas. When it was all finished, my aunt and sister were arguing over who would get to keep the decorations!

Holly Wade is a DIY and lifestyle blogger for Club Crafted, a website devoted to sharing ideas for creating a happy, homemade life.

Browse The Home Depot’s Christmas Decorations Department for everything you need to brighten up your home for the holidays.

Follow our Holiday Style Challenge board on Pinterest for more holiday inspiration and ideas from some of the best design bloggers on the internet.

The post Winter Wonderland Christmas Mantel for a Beachy Decor appeared first on The Home Depot Blog.



from Roofing Pro http://ift.tt/2fVEee6

Curated by a professional Roofing Contractor

No comments:

Post a Comment