Friday, November 13, 2015

Festive Holiday Media Center Makeover

Whitney-Jones-Holiday-Style-Challenge-1

This beautiful media center was built and styled for the holidays by Whitney Jones of Whitney J. Decor as part of our Holiday Style Challenge. Using supplies from The Home Depot, Whitney created a festive focal point in her home that fits her personal style.

Read on to discover how Whitney used garland, a wreath and gold accents for this holiday media center makeover.

Last year, I participated in Home Depot’s Holiday Style Challenge and it was a blast! I really enjoy decorating for the holidays, so when Home Depot asked me to style a fireplace mantel for the Holiday Style Challenge, I was both excited and anxious. Excited because I love Christmas decorating and a well-styled surface and anxious because I don’t have a mantel.

Oops!

So, since I didn’t have a mantel, I decided to create a festive holiday media center.

Festive Holiday Media Center

My media center is actually a Rubbermaid closet track system usually seen in bedroom closets and pantries. Because my living room was short on storage space, I knew it was the perfect, inexpensive solution for my TV, books, mags, and plants.

The system was super easy to install. All I needed were three white 72 x 12 in. Rubbermaid shelves, three 48 in. upright tracks, and nine 12 in. brackets.

First, I installed the uprights on the wall. Instructions note to screw uprights into studs every 16 in. apart, so that means I would have needed 4-5 uprights. I only used 3 and installed them with anchors, not into the studs. They’re holding up extremely well, even with my TV on top of the middle shelf. [Installing the uprights with anchors is good. But to be safe, we always recommend following the manufacturer’s instructions. -Home Depot ed.] I installed the first upright in the middle of my wall (because I wanted my media center centered) and the other two 32 in. on either side of the middle upright.

Whitney-Jones-Holiday-Style-Challenge-2

Whitney-Jones-Holiday-Style-Challenge-3

Whitney-Jones-Holiday-Style-Challenge-4

Then, I hooked on the brackets that the shelves sit on. I marked the place of each bracket with a permanent marker. I made sure that I placed the top shelf closer to the top of the uprights, because I wanted that shelf rather high.

Whitney-Jones-Holiday-Style-Challenge-5

Then, I placed the middle shelf at a distance where the TV would fit snugly. The bottom shelf was placed 12 in. under the middle shelf.

Whitney Jones Holiday Style Challenge 6

The media center gives me lots of storage, and I love the way it looks.

I was a bit concerned about it looking a bit industrial or closet-y, but it looks great!! It definitely fits all my needs and is an affordable solution for anyone looking for easy, affordable, totally customizable storage.

Whitney-Jones-Holiday-Style-Challenge-7

You can see more photos of the styled media center in my full living room tour on my blog, but I made some changes for the holidays.

Living in a small apartment can make it really tough to decorate without overstuffing or cluttering up my space with decorative items. Especially for the holidays. I made sure to keep stepping back with an editing eye to make sure I didn’t have too much stuff. I’m so happy with the way my festive holiday media center turned out.

Whitney-Jones-Holiday-Style-Challenge-8

Whitney-Jones-Holiday-Style-Challenge-9

Whitney-Jones-Holiday-Style-Challenge-10

Whitney-Jones-Holiday-Style-Challenge-11

Whitney-Jones-Holiday-Style-Challenge-13

Gold Accents

The Home Depot sent me these gorgeous reindeer. They’re in a champagne/gold finish and go really well with all my holiday accents. I love the glittered gold antlers!

Whitney-Jones-Holiday-Style-Challenge-14

I got this really cute gold mini tree, too. All the peaks of the tree sparkle with gold glitter.

Whitney-Jones-Holiday-Style-Challenge-15

I believe that every holiday-scape should have candles, so I wanted to make sure to bring some onto my shelves. Candles can set the tone for the holidays and are always a staple of mine when I’m setting up decorations. I usually light candles every day of the holiday season.

Whitney-Jones-Holiday-Style-Challenge-16

Whitney-Jones-Holiday-Style-Challenge-17

Festive Greenery

This gorgeous Martha Stewart boxwood wreath came decorated with faux red berries, and I added a few holiday stems for more color and texture. It was the perfect piece to hang on top of my media center.

Whitney-Jones-Holiday-Style-Challenge-18

Whitney-Jones-Holiday-Style-Challenge-19

Whitney-Jones-Holiday-Style-Challenge-20

Whitney-Jones-Holiday-Style-Challenge-21

Whitney-Jones-Holiday-Style-Challenge-22

Whitney-Jones-Holiday-Style-Challenge-23

My favorite part of my holiday media center makeover is this beautiful 6 ft. mantel garland that I also received from Home Depot. It was pre-lit and had red berries embedded throughout.

I did a bit of fluffing and trimming and LOVE the sparkle and color added with some red, green, and gold ornaments from the The Home Depot. I removed all of my everyday décor from the bottom shelf of my media center and draped it with the entire length of the garland.

The Christmas season is my favorite time of the year, so I’m extremely excited to have my decorations up. Big thanks to The Home Depot for letting me share a small part of my home and participate in the Style Challenge again. Happy Holidays to you all!

Whitney Jones is a New Orleans-based Interior Designer specializing in small spaces. She works with clients, both locally and online, to maximize their spaces for homes that are beautiful and functional. When she isn’t designing spaces, she’s reading, working on DIY projects, or learning something new.

You can find additional inspirational blog posts by checking out our Holiday Style Challenge. Also be sure to follow our Holiday Style Challenge board on Pinterest, for more Christmas decorating ideas. Take a look, too, at our blog post, Holiday Mantel Makeover.

The Home Depot has everything you need to decorate for Christmas in our Holiday Decorations Department.

The post Festive Holiday Media Center Makeover appeared first on The Home Depot Blog.



from Roofing Pro http://ift.tt/1kuoXlY

Curated by a professional Roofing Contractor

No comments:

Post a Comment