Monday, November 16, 2015

Holiday Mantel Makeover

StaceyBlakehomedepot1

Stacy Blake of Design Addict Mom had never decorated for Christmas using the traditional Christmas colors of red and green. To do this, she used supplies from The Home Depot to embrace the traditional color palette and spiced up the mix with plaid and tartan.

We invited her to take part in our Holiday Style Challenge and sent Stacy a mystery box of Home Depot Christmas decorations along with a Home Depot gift card to get her started on her Christmas decorating.

Christmas is my absolute favorite holiday season. I love how people seem to smile more and be more relaxed and happy during this time of year. Of course, I enjoy decorating for Christmas too and putting the Christmas tree up with all the lights and ornaments give me such joy and delight!! With that said, I’ve never decorated for Christmas using the traditional Christmas colors of red and green. In fact, I steered clear of that color combo and explored the other colors on the color wheel. However, when I received the mystery box from Home Depot and saw that the items from their Home Accents Collection were the traditional colors of red and green, my first thoughts were, I have to spray paint it all since that is not my style. After a few days had passed and I thought about the style challenge some more, I decided to embrace the traditional red and green with a holiday mantel makeover spiced up with the addition of tartan and plaid.

StaceyBlakehomedepot2

The Mantel

For the mantel, I started with the wreath and added a plaid ribbon atop the existing green one. Candlesticks, jars, candles, miniature Christmas trees, the marquee shape Christmas tree and Ho Ho sign from Home Accent Holiday, stars, a painting, and an advent calendar garland rounded out its festive and traditional flair.

StaceyBlakehomedepot3

StaceyBlakehomedepot4_840px

StaceyBlakehomedepot5

These battery operated snow flakes light were perfect and added a pretty sparkle to this small tree on the mantel.

StaceyBlakehomedepot6

Though, I was asked to style the mantel for this challenge, I also decided to flank the mantel area with a tree and an occasional chair, but I received an oversized bow, so I needed a huge gift box to place it on so the scale would be proportioned. I immediately thought of the big box that I received with the mystery items and I wrapped it with two different types of wrapping paper.

StaceyBlakehomedepot7

StaceyBlakehomedepot8

After wrapping the box, I finished it off with a plaid ribbon and added the oversized Martha Stewart bow.

StaceyBlakehomedepot10

Since I had no traditional red and green ornaments, I bought some for the Christmas tree I would be decorating. The tree was not pre lit, so I used the multicolored led C9 lights I received to adorn it first before adding the ornaments.

StaceyBlakehomedepot12 (1)

StaceyBlakehomedepot11 (1)

StaceyBlakehomedepot13 (1)

I filled in the tree with some more of that plaid ribbon and in addition to the red and green ornaments, I added some other fun ornaments. On the floor I placed a tartan blanket that grounded the design and acted as a skirt for the tree. The Santa sign is from the Martha Stewart collection and is super fun, especially because it lights up.

StaceyBlakehomedepot14

I snuck a bit of non tradition decor in the mix with this fun tree topper!

StaceyBlakehomedepot15 (1)

StaceyBlakehomedepot16 (1)

I love the pop of pink and the stripes brought in from the chair!

StaceyBlakehomedepot17 (1)

StaceyBlakehomedepot18 (1)

The Bar

I also continued with the traditional Christmas cheer in the bar area which is located right across from the mantel and fireplace. I incorporated a diy chalkboard that I made. It was originally a white board that painted using chalkboard paint from Home Depot. I framed it using batten strips and adhered each strip to the board by using industrial strength velcro.

StaceyBlakehomedepot19

I drew an alternative wreath from a template found online on the chalkboard, added a simple red ribbon to the greenery and voila!

StaceyBlakehomedepot20

This Christmas bell adds whimsy to the bar area and ties in the red and green theme beautifully.

StaceyBlakehomedepot21

StaceyBlakehomedepot22

Thank you for inviting me to participate in another Style Challenge, Home Depot! Merry Christmas everyone!

Stacy Blake lives in Fayetteville, NC with her two beautiful boys and is a very proud military wife. Stacy is an educator, however, she discovered the world of blogging and found her new talent and passion as a designer. Stacy is also an interior stylist and writer for her local paper, The Fayetteville Observer. You can check out Stacy’s Cement Patio Extension from our Patio Style Challenge,

Follow our Holiday Style Challenge board on Pinterest, for more Christmas decorating ideas. Take a look, too, at our blog post, DIY Colorful Holiday Decor.

The Home Depot has everything you need to decorate for Christmas in our Holiday Decorations Department.

The post Holiday Mantel Makeover appeared first on The Home Depot Blog.



from Roofing Pro http://ift.tt/1llT3bq

Curated by a professional Roofing Contractor

No comments:

Post a Comment