Friday, April 28, 2017

A Comfy Formal Sunroom Makeover

A Comfy Formal Sun Room Makeover

This formal sunroom makeover certainly is elegant, but scores high on comfort, too. What’s the point of having a lovely room that isn’t comfy?

In her sunroom makeover, Sandra Downie of The Rustic Life managed to hit that elegant-and-comfortable sweet spot by carefully choosing the furniture, rug, tables and accents. Let her take you on a tour of her new formal sunroom to inspire your own sunroom makeover.

Formal Sunroom Makeover

I’m waaaay excited to be partnering up once again with The Home Depot to reveal my formal sunroom makeover. Besides my office (which still needs a little work), the sunroom is probably the second room in our home where I spend the most time. If you want to see what the sunroom looked like before, check it out here. There are also lots more photos on my instagram page.

Although I did love how my sunroom was set up before, that design initially was not the vision I had for that room. When we moved in, the chair-and-a-half that was in the room was too big, so my idea of a mini “formal” sunroom was thwarted.

I was not happy to say the least. I had a vision, and I really wanted to finally pull the room together. I wanted it to serve both formally and informally for myself and guests. I wanted it to feel chic, but still comfortable. Some of you may think that would be hard, but it’s easier than you might think.

Start With the Walls

Peel-and-stick decals give distressed wood look to wall in formal sunroom

When working on a space I always try to start with the paint color. I would suggest you do the same if you are stuck and asking yourself “where do I begin”? This sets the tone and feel for what the space will eventually “feel” like.

I always want my home to feel comfortable, relaxed and inviting.

Instead of painting the wall, I decided to use decorative peel-and-stick wall decor. I chose a white washed wood peel-and-stick with varying tones. This added depth and texture without having to spend a ton of money OR time. The decal on the wall in half an hour. I immediately fell in love with how this simple wall decor transformed the space in such a little bit of time.

Centering the Room

Next, I looked for pieces that would center the sunroom. What I mean by that are the things that visually make an impact once you enter the room. I chose this darling linen nail head love seat and this vintage inspired grey rug.

Linen tufted love seat and vintage-inspired rug

Although there are speckles of yellow throughout the rug, I didn’t mind it as it is just a sweet element of surprise in my home’s neutral palette.

A Comfy Formal Sun Room Makeover

Furniture that has nail heads and tufted areas always elevates the space, giving the room an elegant and formal feel. With this love seat, as well, the two castor wheels on the front added an extra touch of craftsmanship to the piece. Simply elegant!

Accent Pieces

My next step was to decide on accent pieces: the side table and chairs.

Hand-carved wood arm chair

I knew because I wanted the room to also feel casual, I didn’t want to add any accent chairs that were upholstered. So I searched and searched and came across these hand-carved wood arm chairs. Um …  can you tell why I just had to have them?

Not only are they unique and quite frankly like pieces of art, but I LOVE how they brought more texture into the formal sunroom. The distressed rustic finish blends so nicely with the refined rustic farmhouse feel going on throughout my home. They are VERY well made and very comfy.

For the side tables I found another lovely piece at The Home Depot that had a white washed finish to it. It’s a very versatile side table that I think would be fitting in a home that is contemporary, eclectic and, of course, modern farmhouse.

The white washed wood top is solid and goes so nicely with the chairs and the distressed peel-and-stick accent wall. The shelf underneath allows for lots of storage options from baskets, to books, to stacking extra pillows. It’s perfect for a pillow addict such as myself.

White wash end table

Greenery for the Sunroom

As this IS a sunroom, so don’t you think it’s the ideal place to keep a pretty tropical palm nice and healthy? Heat and sun, how could it possibly die right? I think its a good choice for those of us with somewhat (not always) not-so-green thumbs.

A Comfy Formal Sun Room Makeover

I had this olive bucket that would make a great holder for the palm tree, and I have to say, it was the perfect finishing touch that corner needed. Now all I have to do is water it to keep it alive. I always said this sunroom needed some greenery/plants, and I’m glad I was able to work one in.

The Completed Formal Sunroom

To sum this formal sunroom project up, I would have to say that it came out, truthfully, even better than I had imagined. My hubby came home the night I finished styling it and was like, “Sandra, the sunroom looks really good. You did a great job!” My hubby isn’t a man of many words, but that made my heart smile.

We have enjoyed a glass of wine and talking by candlelight there the other night, and we can’t wait to have people over to enjoy it with us.

One last and KEY design tip I have for you all when you are trying to figure out how to pull a room together: Ask yourself questions and know the answers. Q an A’s such as will it be used everyday: Will kids be in the space? How much storage will I need? These are questions that will surely help to guide you.

Browse The Home Depot’s Home Decor section for everything you need to make your home beautiful and comfortable. We have furnishings, flooring and rugs, window treatments and more.

Follow our Home Decorators Collection board on Pinterest. There you’ll see more high quality and affordable home decor from The Home Depot.

The post A Comfy Formal Sunroom Makeover appeared first on The Home Depot Blog.



from Roofing Pro http://ift.tt/2oFYBUt

Curated by a professional Roofing Contractor

No comments:

Post a Comment