Thursday, April 6, 2017

Achieving the Top 3 Patio Functions: Gardening, Grilling and Chilling

Top 3 Patio Functions: Gardening, Grilling and Chilling

Mysha Bolen knows what she wants from a patio makeover. The design blogger behind Remington Avenue boils it down to three patio functions: gardening, grilling and chilling.

Mysha brought together the right patio furniture, outdoor string lights and patio accessories to create her perfect spot for enjoying her backyard.

Garden, Grill and Chill Patio Makeover

When designing an outdoor patio space for someone, the first question I always ask is, “What do you want to do in this space, or how do you want it to function?” My top three patio functions are gardening, grillin’ and chillin’!

Before the Patio Makeover

Before a patio makeover

I wanted a comfortable setting to hang out with my family and friends, eat yummy food, and keep my beautiful flowers from dying! I’m not known for my green thumb, but a well-designed garden patio fixed with potted plants, a drip system, and a pretty silver metal watering can sure help.

This patio makeover took my bleak concrete pad from a skeleton of a backyard to a comfortable, inviting, and intimate oasis.

Patio Function: Chillin’

Belcourt 5-Piece Metal Patio Fire Pit Conversation Set with Spa Cushions

First stop to creating a cozy hangout spot was the addition of the Hampton Bay Belcourt Fire Pit and Conversation set. I love how this versatile outdoor set can be used from day to night, outdoor lounge to campfire.  Paisley Outdoor Pouf Ottoman

Round Metal Garden Stool in Chili

Add a paisley outdoor pouf, a round metal garden stool, some extra blankets and Hampton Bay outdoor throw pillows and you’ve got yourself the perfect set up.

I placed all the furniture over the Agave Natural outdoor rug. It helps define the space, and it’s more comfortable under those bare feet.

Here’s a tip: Place all your functional and decorative items in a bin or tray for easy removal when transitioning from table to fire pit or stored away in bad weather. We had a rainstorm hit yesterday, and I safely tucked my patio in the garage in less than five minutes!

Top 3 Patio Functions: Gardening, Grilling and Chilling

Patio Function: Grillin’

When you think of outdoor living, grilling and BBQs are top on the list!

It’s important to have a functional grilling set up with easy access to the kitchen. This gigantic patio umbrella really shades the chef from the hot sun while cooking the ribs. The back of our home faces south, so adding ample shade was super important. This 11 ft. canopy with fancy LED lights was the perfect solution.

Top 3 Patio Functions: Gardening, Grilling and Chilling

Outdoor lighting is a must! Not only for functionality, but for added ambiance. I created a fence-like perimeter using Hampton Bay Bronzed cafe string lights and 1-in. x 2-in. boards stained to match the house. This created a more intimate feeling and added to the overall atmosphere.

I also scattered lanterns of various heights around the patio. I filled the glass lanterns with battery operated candles and succulents. Succulents can take the heat and live on little water!

Top 3 Patio Functions: Gardening, Grilling and Chilling

Patio Function: Gardening

A garden patio adds all the life and color. I built these cedar planters using inexpensive cedar fence pickets. You can find the easy tutorial for these DIY cedar planters here. They hide the ugly cement footings beneath the columns and add more architectural interest to the patio.

I ran a drip line coming up the back to ensure my climbing honeysuckles and sun-loving flowers would flourish all season. Flower gardens surround the patio and potted plants are scattered about adding lush texture and vibrant colors.

Top 3 Patio Functions: Gardening, Grilling and Chilling

An outdoor living space is an extension of your home. To keep everything cohesive, I painted my back door with a semi-gloss exterior enamel paint. I chose Undersea Blue by BEHR. It was the perfect shade of blue that spoke to the colors of my new patio while complimenting the stone on my home’s exterior. It adds so much personality, I kinda want to paint all my exterior doors now!

I finished the patio with a semi-transparent BEHR concrete stain. I only applied the stain on the stamped concrete border. I selected Loden brown to match the trim of the house, creating a seamless color story.

Patio Functions Achieved

Top 3 Patio Functions: Gardening, Grilling and Chilling

I’m just thrilled with how my colorful garden patio makeover turned out! It hits all the right notes with my top three patio functions. We will be enjoying our new outdoor space throughout spring, summer and fall. The days will be spent chillin’ and relaxing in the sun with a book. The evenings will be filled with delicious food, campfire s’mores, and quality conversation with family and friends.

Top 3 Patio Functions: Gardening, Grilling and Chilling

Mysha Bolen describes herself as a design lover, fanatical DIYer, renovator, bargain hunter and wannabe chef. Read about her adventures in DIY projects and home decorating on her blog, Remington Avenue.

Follow our Patio Style Challenge board on Pinterest for more patio decorating ideas and inspiration. And check out our Patio Style Challenge playlist on YouTube.

Browse The Home Depot’s online Patio Furniture section for patio sets to fit any style or budget.

The post Achieving the Top 3 Patio Functions: Gardening, Grilling and Chilling appeared first on The Home Depot Blog.



from Roofing Pro http://ift.tt/2ocWKoL

Curated by a professional Roofing Contractor

No comments:

Post a Comment