Saturday, October 1, 2016

Celebrate Autumn with a Fall Mudroom Makeover

Celebrate Autumn with a Fall Mudroom Makeover

All it took was a few pops of color with mums and pumpkins to make this fall mudroom makeover a perfect way to celebrate autumn.

Sandra Downie of The Rustic Life styled this mudroom makeover for our Halloween and Harvest Style Challenge. We sent her Home Depot fall decorations, and she did the rest.

Pick up some ideas from Sandra for your own fall mudroom makeover!

Fall Mudroom Makeover

I was super excited about participating in this year’s The Home Depot Halloween and Harvest Style Challenge. I love decorating for fall and figured the mudroom was just the place I would makeover for this. I feel like the entrance to the home is something I always try to decorate for each season as a well decorated space says “hello, come on in and stay awhile”.

With a shopping list in tow, I headed to my local The Home Depot store to stock up on seasonal décor.

Mudroom in need of a fall makeover

As you can see in the above before photo…the mudroom was pretty empty and blah looking as a seasonal décor change was pending. Not very “fall” now, is it?

I didn’t feel like I wanted to remove many things that were already there, but rather add to it all for a welcoming fall look.

One of the things I knew I wanted to incorporate was mums. Like, hello! Mums just scream fall, don’t you think?

I looked for some planting pots that I liked. I found a style that spoke to me, but I wasn’t in love with the color. I got the idea to just darken the finish with some stain.

It was super easy to transform these pots into a more rustic look using a stain color I really liked. I chose to use a Minwax Stain (even though it is for wood, I knew that it would work if I used it and let it dry for 24 hours). I chose the color Special Walnut, but you could use anything you wanted. Spray painting planter pots are also a quick, inexpensive and easy way to do a transformation.

Painting stain on a planter box

Planter boxes, one stained

See even though, the change isn’t very drastic, you could see how the original gray color warmed up nicely from the Special Walnut stain color I used.

Celebrate Autumn with a Fall Mudroom Makeover

Next I put all the home décor items together, to create the most welcoming fall inspired mudroom for people coming to the house.

Celebrate Autumn with a Fall Mudroom Makeover

I found the cutest little mini sugar pumpkin and mini hay bale and knew they would fit nicely together on the galvanized tray on top of the shelf.

I placed a small yellow mum in one of the planters I stained to give the area a bright pop of color.

Celebrate Autumn with a Fall Mudroom Makeover

Who doesn’t love happy, smiling scarecrows for fall?

I decided I’d create a little scarecrow family around a large hay bale paired with the cutest little Sunflower Welcome Friends sign to greet people who enter.

Celebrate Autumn with a Fall Mudroom Makeover

How cute is the Mumkin (mum + pumpkin)? I knew it would be perfect for on top of my vintage stool.

I’m all about texture, so I picked up the ornamental cabbage to put into the other planter pot that I stained.

I would say they turned out to be the perfect pair and just what that little corner needed.

Celebrate Autumn with a Fall Mudroom Makeover

I needed a pillow. There were several styles to choose from at The Home Depot. I was considering a chevron-patterned pillow, but I chose the “Hooray for the pumpkin pie” pillow. I felt it went better with my design aesthetic and the burlap pillow that was already there.

Celebrate Autumn with a Fall Mudroom Makeover

Lastly, the door needed a pop of fall color and this beautiful wreath was exactly the finishing touch the mudroom needed.

Overall, I’m so happy with how it all came out, and I hope you are ready to welcome fall as much as I am.

Sandra Downie is the author of The Rustic Life, where she shares things she loves:home decorating and design, entertaining ideas, recipes, style, beauty tips and much more.

For more Halloween and harvest decorating ideas, see other articles in our Halloween Style Challenge series, and follow our Halloween Style Challenge board on Pinterest.

Visit The Home Depot’s online Halloween Decorations Department for everything you need to decorate your home for Halloween and fall.

The post Celebrate Autumn with a Fall Mudroom Makeover appeared first on The Home Depot Blog.



from Roofing Pro http://ift.tt/2cHu51H

Curated by a professional Roofing Contractor

No comments:

Post a Comment